Skate is an all too often forgotten fish, but not in Spain. It is used in a variety of meals and soups.
I think this recipe sees the fish in good company. Almonds go well with white fish. Try this meal and then you will be converted to skate.
- 1 kilo of skate, cut into thick slices
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of flaked almonds
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of white breadcrumbs
- 50 grams of ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 125 ml of fish stock
Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius. Wash and dry the slices of fish, and sprinkle with salt and lemon juice. Leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Pound the garlic with the breadcrumbs, ground almonds, parsley, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until a thick paste is formed. Cook the tomatoes gently for a few moments in the rest of the olive oil.
Pour on the fish stock and stir in the garlic paste. Bring to a boil and then remove the heat and stir in the eggs. Place the fish in a casserole and pour over the sauce. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until cooked. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and serve in the casserole.