Basque chefs know what they are doing with seafood, especially lobster and crab.
Baked crab is wonderful, never more so than with this recipe for such a traditional Basque dish.
- 1 large cooked spider crab (or 450 grams of white crab meat and 150 grams of dark crab meat)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 100 ml of brandy
- 300 ml of fresh tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 50 grams of breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
- Knob of butter
Pre-heat the oven to 220 Celsius or gas mark 6. Clean the crab and separate the white meat from the dark.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the chopped onions, crushed garlic cloves and paprika.
Cook gently until the onions start to soften and add the brandy, tomato sauce and the brown crab meat. Cook over a gentle flame for 10 minutes. Stir in the flaked white crab meat, chopped parsley and season with a little salt.
Fill the crab shell with the mixture, sprinkle with breadcrumbs, place a knob of butter on top and bake on the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.